I believe that we should all be free to live our lives as we see fit - on the provisio that our choices do not harm others. I believe that people should be able to say, wear, act, worship in any way they like and the state should only step if their actions could cause harm to another.
As John Stuart Mill says:
“The only freedom which deserves the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it.*”
Labour and the Tories instinctively seek to control us by incrementally attacking our freedoms. 13 years of Labour saw them try to introduce:
- ID cards: forcing everyone to carry a card and present it when ordered by government agencies
- DNA Database: storing innocent people's DNA; making it commercially available
- 28 Days without charge: locking 'suspects' up for 4 weeks without charge or legal representation
The Tories, led by their extreme right wing want to:
- remove Britain from the European Convention on Human Rights
- introduce a "Snoopers Charter" allowing the state to monitor all emails and phone calls
- introduce "Secret Courts" allowing defendents not to see the evidence against them
As my CV will show, I have a long record of campaigning to defend our human rights from attack from successive governments.
Only with Liberal Democrats in government can we be sure that our civil liberties and human rights will be protected.
* - John Stuart Mill, 'On Liberty', p18